I thought I’d share my thrift store finds this week and some tips and tricks I use while thrifting!
First, my finds :). I went to my favorite store in my area, Waterfront Mission Bargain Center. The one in my town is HUGE, I’d say the size of a Wal-Mart! I spent under $20 and was able to pick up a lot of things on my list (read about that in my tips below!).
There once was a sad day I would not step foot in a thrift store, I thought they were dirty smelly and just all around gross. Some of them are… but anyway… I don’t really remember when I had a change of heart but I’m so glad I did! They are my favorite places to shop now, along with garage/estate sales, especially for household items. These stores can swallow you up, so to keep my thrifting as efficient as possible here are some tips and tricks I use:
1. I always keep a list with me in my phone of things I ‘need’, ‘want’, and ‘nice to have’ along with measurements of these things. The ‘want’ and ‘nice to have’ are pretty similar but the ‘wants’ I want a little more 🙂 . Every time I move on from a section in the store I refer to my list to refresh my memory on what to look out for.
2. Always have a tape measure on hand!! Andrew makes fun of me because I always have one in my purse and feel lost if for some reason it’s not there- you never know when you have to measure something!! (I think this comes from my working-gal days when I worked as an engineer in a manufacturing environment, I always had a tape measure on my hip.. very feminine, I know..) I get the last laugh though when it comes in handy and saves the day 😀
3. If for some reason I don’t have a tape measure, I know that my pinky finger measures 2 inches exactly from the outside (this tip also comes from my working-gal days). With this awesome piece of information I can pretty much measure anything, anytime, anywhere! Talk about power!! I think a dollar bill is about 6 inches so you can use that too.
4. Go down every aisle! No matter how hard the employees/volunteers try to keep the store organized, it’s impossible to keep everything in its place! You never know what kind of treasure could be hidden in the auto parts section!
5. Keep hand sanitizer in your purse or car and use it after you leave the store. You’re touching a lot of stuff that came from a lot of places!
Do you have any additional tips up your sleeve?! I’d love to hear them!