I knew a wanted a starburst mirror (or 3) for the nursery, except I didn’t want to pay the $70+ price tag for each one. They can be VERY expensive! I looked on pinterest to find some ideas on how to DIY one. Most of the tutorials were very similar to each other in materials and techniques, so I figured they couldn’t be TOO complicated to make! The main difference I found was some people would use the skewer sticks for like barbeque-ing and others used dowels from the craft store. I decided to use the dowels since I wanted the mirror to NOT look like I made it myself. They are a little more expensive than the skewer sticks, but still not that bad (especially when compared to ones you would buy).
So I went out to the stores to gather all my supplies!
Here was my shopping list/ what you will need:
5″ mirror @ Hobby Lobby. $1.99 with 50% off sale
16- 3/16″ dowel rods @ Hobby Lobby. $0.29 each
6″ floral craft ring @ Michaels. $0.89 with 40% off coupon
Rustoleum Metallic Gold Spray Paint @ Home Depot. $3.50
Hot glue gun & extra glue sticks
E6000 Glue (or any other super strength glue)
mask and gloves (since I’m pregnant I didn’t want to inhale the spray fumes!)
Something to cut the dowels with (I used garden shears and it worked perfect, you could also use a hack saw or meter saw)
I started off by glueing the mirror to the craft ring using E6000 glue. While that was drying I began to cut the dowels with my garden shears 🙂 . I cut 8 pieces of the following sizes: 18″, 15″, 12″, 9″, & 6″.
After the the dowels were cut and the glue was dried, I laid out the pattern of the ‘starburst’ that I wanted. I had a couple different patterns laid out, but I chose this one (at least for this one):
After the pattern was laid out, I began glueing the dowels down using hot glue. I started by glueing the longest pieces (18″) then filled in the spaces with the shorter dowels. (15″, 12″, 9″ & 6″). When doing this it is very important to make sure the dowels are glued at 90 degree angle from the side of the mirror (otherwise, you’ll get a spiral sorta effect.. I cant really explain it, but trust me)
After glueing all the dowels down, I set up shop outside to spray paint. Before spray painting I covered the mirror with tin foil so I did’t get the paint on the mirror. I used almost a whole can of Rustoleum Metallic Gold Spray Paint, it took about 4 coats to get the look I wanted. I probably could have gotten away with less coats if I primed the wood prior to spray painting but it was easier to put a ton of spray paint on it!
After it dried I took it inside and using the E6000 I glued a picture hanger on the back.
The finished mirror is about 40 inches in diameter measured from the longest dowels and I only spent about $11.00. This mirror definitely makes a big statement with a small price tag! I plan on making 2 more, with the same size mirror and frame but different patterns for the rays. The plan as of now will be for all 3 to go in the nursery somewhere!